Great Local Irish Pub.
This is a fine Irish pub in West Orange. The owner is always warm, welcoming and super friendly. The food is great, and there's a good selection of beer on tap.
Every time I've been there, the atmosphere has always been fun and you feel like you're visiting your second family, kind of like Cheers.
St. Patty's Day was especially a good time, and if you can make it there, I highly recommend it.
casual west orange bar with great drinks and pub food. halligans has an awesome casual atmosphere i was thrilled to find when i moved to west orange. everyone there is personable and friendly. they have about 6 draft beers (miller light, guinness, bass, blue point toasted lager, shock top, and maybe one more) and more in bottles. the price of the food is very reasonable for the portions they give you. i walked in for the first time with and open mind and found myself comfortable there almost immediately.
Avoid at all cost if: (read below).
- Your a New Yorker (he has Red Sox's stuff all over the bar)
- You drink decent beer (instead of Blue Moon or Guinness he as some second rate garbage that doesn't even come close, I brew beer so I know beer)
- You don't like used food (I saw him mix to baskets of popcorn together and give them to a couple, grose)
- You don't like drama when your out (in the 3 times I stopped in, he kicked out another owner of a local bar. Next he kicked and yelled at his wife in the middle of the bar for 20 minutes about how the people of New Jersey have no class.
- You play pool or darts. (the pool table is warped, and the dart board won't hold the darts because it's worn)
- Want to watch the game. (I stopped in monday night, and he had 3 tv's on one channel and 2 on the game but the sound was off for the game)
- Like decent 1/2 time food (hot dogs, when he advertised Chicken, Beef Tacos)
- You find childporn offensive ( ok it's board line, but he has a poster in the bathroom with a little boy holding up a womens skirt, with the bottom saying "Seeing Is Believing". Kinda Creepy)
I have been living in West Orange for over 3 years, and like the occasional beer and burger. All I look for in a pub is reasonable prices, decent beer and good service with limited drama. So in my search for neighborhood bars I came across Halligan's, I was very excited to see a nice irish place with darts, and pool. My first visit, he booted a local and moaned about him the rest of the night. Second night he was wearing a Boston Shirt, but he bought me and my girlfriend a beer and seemed nice so I tipped the bartender 5 bucks. The 3red and final, he freaked out on my Buddie and I for moving 2 barstools in order to play darts, the place had 5 people in it and it was a game night. So this place is on my avoid list as anyone who pays 5 bucks a beer should not have to put up with that service.
First of all this place is so loud it was difficulty hearing each other at a two top table. Carpet or even just table cloths would help the noise factor.
The lighting was so low we had to use the candle on the table to read the small print on the menu.
The menu looked inviting. Once the food came it was pretty basic, no frills. Good bread but that was about it. The atmosphere was so distracting from the food. We were ready to get out of there as quickly as possible?.once the bill finally came.
Very local place, everyone knows everyone. Probably a good place for a Sunday afternoon football game but if you are looking for a relaxing meal you might want to look elsewhere. I would go back for a ballgame and a beer.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!